In some cases where it is not necessary or desirable to replace a complete magnetron cathode, it is possible for Gencoa to provide a replacement magnetic system to fit into the existing cathode body. This is a cost-effective method of upgrading the performance of the current system.
In nearly all cases it is possible to fit our standard balanced (SW) or unbalanced (PP) magnetic systems. In 70% of cases it is possible to fit our high yield (HY) type magnetics.
The possible reasons to replace magnets are include the following:
- Defective magnets
- Corrosion of magnets located in water (very common)
- Over-heating and degaussing of the magnets
- To increase target utilization
- To increase magnetic field strength for low pressure/voltage or magnetic material sputtering
- To improve coating uniformity in both circular and rectangular geometries
- To enhance plasma reactivity and energy by unbalancing the magnetic field
- To reduce arcing by avoiding closed magnetic field interactions with system anodes
- To achieve cleaner targets, especially in reactive sputtering
Contact [email protected] with details of your current cathodes and required magnetics to discuss the available options for a planar magnetron retrofit.
Latest Blog Posts
- 22/6/2022 - The Basic Theory of Magnetron Sputtering
- 15/2/2022 - Key Techniques for Gas Leak Detection
- View full list >